The City of Toronto recently started a $20-million, three-year pilot water and energy efficiency program. Low interest loans are being offered to homeowners who qualify through the single-family residential Home Energy Loan Program (HELP).
The program is currently being offered in only some neighborhoods, based on their postal codes. Additional neighborhoods are expected to be added soon.
Borrowers will repay the loan through installments on their property tax bill over a period of up to 15 years. The payment obligation will attach to the property and not to the owner.
Enbridge Gas is currently offering incentives of up to $2,000, which includes a rebate to cover the cost of home energy assessment. In addition Toronto Hydro is offering up to $650 for replacing furnaces and air-conditioners with high efficiency units. These incentives will be deducted from the total amount of the HELP loan.
Do I Qualify?
If the first three digits of your home postal code are listed below, HELP financing is available to you:
- Black Creek: M3N
- Toronto Centre/Riverdale/Beaches: M4E, M4L, M4M, M4J, M1N, M4C, M4K, M5A
- Junction/High Park: M6P, M6S
- South Scarborough: M1M, M1E, M1C, M1L, M1K, M4B
As a homeowner, you may qualify for a low interest loan through HELP if:
- you own a detached, semi-detached, row or mobile home;
- all of the property owners on title consent to the Program;
- your property tax and utility payments to the City are in good standing; and
- you obtain written consent from your mortgage lender, if applicable.
To find more information about the HELP loan, contact us at Husky Heating and Air Conditioning.